Friday, November 6, 2009

Run, don't drink!


After a bit of a full-on week at the conference, and with the Pine Ridge 10 km and the Grim 8 Challenge looming, I decided to have a month(ish) off the alcohol, and I also set up my Justgiving page to start trying to get some funding going for Reprieve. I posted a status on Facebook to let all my buddies know I was on the wagon while in training, and began grovelling unashamedly for some sponsorship. Well a few good souls did show up to pledge some suppport and help me on my way, and the effect has been... er.... no drinking and more running!

This is a good thing, it's the first time I've really tested myself on the 'guilt factor'. People are sponsoring me and I can't let them down. So, I am pleased to report that this week the first week in November, I have put in circa 7km (4 miles) in hill/speed training with the local runnning club (in the cold and the dark on Tuesday evening); and that this morning I actually raised myself from my bed shortly after 6a.m. and bothered to head out for a 5 km (3 1/2 mile) run round the local streets. Crikey, did my legs feel heavy after Tuesday night's session! But I know it's all good. Tomorrow morning is the regular Saturday Parkrun. In spite of this being a regular fixture I haven't been for a few weeks, and I'm looking forward to it. I need to get these leggies loose.

What I really need is some LSDs (long slow distance sessions) to get me used to running >10km. That can be next week's target.

God but I miss the drink though.

No comments:

Post a Comment